Monday, August 31, 2009

Football vs. Reality

Two of my sons play high school football. We love football season at our house. There is an excitement in the air knowing that at least once a week we will experience the cool fall breeze interrupted only by the sound of crushing blows as helmet meets helmet, shoulder pads collide, and hundreds of pounds of human flesh crash to the ground. It's a beautiful thing.

Last Friday night my son Braden was enjoying one of these precious moments when he was hit hard from the side right in the helmet by one of the opposing team and was knocked unconscious. I have to admit it was very difficult for me not to run down onto the field.

There is an unwritten rule that mothers of football players are never welcome on the field. The coaches didn't make this rule. It was the boys. So as I watched Braden lie there not moving at all I struggled with the rule knowing I could bring disgrace if I broke it. He finally got up with the help of his coaches and our trusty trainer and sat on the bench for the rest of the game. I will admit that I did go down to check on him after half time. I just couldn't help it and decided to take the chance. I am glad I did! He was glad to see me. I asked if he wanted me to sit with him on the bench and he told me no to go sit back in the bleachers. So I did!

Braden was loopy as a lune and it took him two days to get back to "normal".

I was thinking about how this experience relates to life. Sometimes we get blind sided, while living our day to day lives, by crazy unexpected situations and it completely knocks us for a loop. We wander around for a couple of days saying and doing things that don't make sense and suffering from a severe headache. Then we lace up our cleats, strap on our helmets, buckle up our shoulder pads, and hit the turf again!

I am so grateful that Braden is alright! I am also very proud of him for getting back out there and making a difference for himself and his team. He does that on and off the football field. He amazes me!

So now it's time to gear up and go for it! Go, go, go!!!!

Leesey Lou

4 comments:

  1. okay! this totally made me cry! he was loopy as a lune! I called after our game and it was clear he was "drugged" so to speak! what a great post! He amazes us too! we love Draden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I knew you would be struggling! I was so worried about Braden and you! I looked for you after the game but I didn't see ya, I wanted to give you a hug and check on Braden. Kotah said he was pretty out of it and I guess he was because Alex tried to talk to him and she said he looked at her like he didn't have a clue who she was. That's so scary! We are all GLAD that he is doing good now!!!
    I saw Austin taking care of him the whole night. It was so sweet!
    You have GREAT kids Lisa and alot of that is because of you!
    We love you guys and are so glad that all turned out well with Braden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I also wanted to tell you I love the analogy you made with the football and life! It's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again what insight and wonderful writing. It was nice to finally learn what happened to Braden. I was so worried when Coach Jackson said he had been hurt and then got off the phone before giving an explanation. I'm glad Braden is alright. He is a trooper! And great analogy! Now whenever I get blindsided in life I'm going to think of football keep going! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete